1.23.2012

great is your faithfulness

some of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books.

"To this very place she was in the habit of going very early every morning to meet him and learn his wishes and commands for the day, and again in the evenings to give her report on the days work."

"She looked at him piteously, then said, 'Do I wish to turn back? O Shepherd, to whom should I go? In all the world I have no one but you. Help me to follow you, even though it seems impossible. Help me to trust you as much as I long to love you."

" 'Others have gone this way before me,' she thought, 'and they could even sing about it afterwards. Will he who is so strong and gentle be less faithful and gracious to me, weak and cowardly though I am, when it is so obvious that the thing he delights in most of all is to deliver his followers from all their fears and to take them to the high places?' "

" 'No,' said the Shepherd, 'it is not contradiction, only postponement for the best to become possible.' "

" 'Even if you can not tell me why it has to be, I will go with you, for you know I do love you, and you have the right to choose for me anything that you please.' "

"...[she] fell on her knees [...] and worshipped. It seemed to her at the moment that all the pain and the postponement, all the sorrows and trials of the long journey she had made, were as nothing compared to the glory which shone before her."

"The Shepherd laughed too. 'I love doing preposterous things,' he replied. 'Why I don't know anything more exhilarating and delightful than turning weakness into strength, and fear into faith, and that which has been marred into perfection."

-Hinds Feet on High Places

No comments: